Monday, 27 August 2012

The Muffs - I Need You. Sub Pop 7". SP157.


I've had this one lined up for ages but overlooked it in favour of other, more esoteric, angry, or rare releases.  More fool me, this is a superb slab of girl-crazy pop punk. The Muffs seemed to be one of those bands who, if one of those bands was going to break through, would be that band. For whatever reason it didn't happen. It was, however, a huge kick to hear their version of Kim Wilde's Kids In America light up the opening credits of 1995 hit movie, Clueless.
The flipside to this is a great cover of Beat Your Heart Out by The Zeros ("The Mexican Buzzcocks"). Enjoy.

The Muffs - I Need You. Sub Pop 7". SP157.

6 comments:

  1. They were pretty great. If I remember correctly, they got to a big label made an O.K. record and then ended up back on the Indie scene. Hearing this again brought back pleasant memories of the cassettes I had from them. I think "Blonder and Blonder" was the major label release, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Eric! They released a bunch of independent singles then released their first LP (CD only!! GRRRR!!) on Warners. As with most bands of their time I got to see them once. And once only.

      Delete
  2. Great band and great voice..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their first album was self-titled and it's totally great. Scrappy and raw but with really exceptional songwriting. Just got reissued, with some demos, which is fun.

    Any chance of re-upping this Sub Pop record? I know this discussion is a bit old by now, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks! Looking forward to finally hearing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Muffs. I used to see them walking around Silverlake, and the drummer worked at Amoeba Records--L.A.'s finest record store. I loved their first 4-5 releases, and even the later ones have some amazingly bright spots. Kim Shattuck was in The Pandoras with Melanie Vammen, who plays rhythm guitar on this single, but who played keyboards in The Pandoras. I believe Kim sells cool vintage kitch online now.

    ReplyDelete