Tuesday, 25 October 2011

The Waste Kings - Garden Of My Mind. Estrus 7". ES745.

I wasn't planning to upload another of the weekend's loft-finds for a while, but the flipside to this single, with its relentless Stoogey skronking saxaphone has been in my head all day and deserves to be in yours. The a side is a cover of a 67 track by The Mickey Finn which is as near to a complete rip off of Purple Haze as you will ever hear. Grunnen Rocks lists an additional two releases by this combo. I'm pretty sure I had one (or one that isn't listed - GR is pretty flaky these days) and the band had completely changed their sound. Enjoy.

The Waste Kings - Garden Of My Mind. Estrus 7". ES745.

3 comments:

  1. The sax player, Ken Vandermark, is a McArthur Genius Grant winner and major force in the world of Free Jazz. If memory serves he played with another garage band as well.

    I really appreciate your work on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, and thanks for the info about Ken Vandermark. It's sometimes too easy to forget that some musicians have lives beyond our cosy little nook. He's played on loads but I'm assuming it was The Crown Royals you were referring to? There's a partial discography here - http://tisue.net/vandermark/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was the Crown Royals. I actually checked the Vandermark Discography to get that answer and was going to mention it in this comment. If you have the other Waste Kings record I would be very interested to hear it.

    ReplyDelete